Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

Texas is BIG and the annual Electric Football convention will be the BIGGEST ever! There will be games for all levels of play from youth to master, including the ALL NEW Electric Football OPEN, the League Invitational, and the MFCA Tournament of Champions Qualifier and Finals! The Tudor Games store will be up and running for all your product needs, featuring an array of items not available anywhere else! There will be the usual gang of tweakers, painters, and collectors roaming the Convention. Join in the Fun!

For all info, itineraries, rules and signup go here:SIGN ME UP!

The 2017 EFWC and Convention will be held at the The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport, July 28-30!
The Westin is located at the airport and includes free shuttle service, swimming pool, hot tub, fitness center and wireless internet.

WHAT: 2017 Electric Football™ World Championships and Convention
WHO:
All interested Electric Football coaches and fans
WHEN:
July 28-30  5:00 pm Friday – 3:00 pm Sunday
WHERE:
The Westin Dallas Fort Worth
4545 W. John Carpenter Freeway, Irving, TX, 75063
Hotel Reservations: 888-627-8617  No code needed. Ask for the "Electric Football Convention" rates.

See more
See less

How to Build a Warrior TOC Scale Electric Football Gameboard

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Build a Warrior TOC Scale Electric Football Gameboard

Since the Warrior TOC was held in January 2013, many of you have asked for this game board. Attached to this post is a .pdf file with the instruction manual on how to build a Warrior TOC game board so you can do-it-yourself!! I do this as a hobby and not as a business.

Read the instructions through, take your time and you'll have a great running game board that is scale to the players!

Enjoy!

Jerry McGhee

The motor can be ordered here: http://catalog.apwcompany.com/item/m...ent-parts/6044
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WEIRDWOLF; 08-15-2015, 01:27 PM.

great work

the field looks wonderful a thing of beauty. i will use this method on the next one i build.

Comment

Jerry,
      THANK YOU for what I consider to be the GREATEST post EVER in EF history!!! The step-by-step instructions are so easy even I (who is a complete moron when it comes to these kind of things) have confidence in doing a good job! I cannot WAIT to start building my next board!

Question though, what is the purpose of the metal poles in the middle sticking up towards the board? While I definitely think I want either a large board (the ones we made years ago are simply no longer acceptable to us) as of now they are illegal in the Mid-Ohio and would want to make a 2x4 as well...would this basic design work with slight alterations to the measurements?

Also, I have found a company who makes motors just like the ones you mention and they are available for a relatively low price (about $25 a motor). If you are interested, PLMK.

Thanks,
      Mark

Comment

Mark,

Thank you for the props on the post!

The "metal poles" you are referring to are 1/4 x 20 machine screws. They are used to keep the field from sagging over time. During game play guys will lean on the board to make a pass completion, that can be quite a bit of weight pushing down on the field sometimes (depending on who is passing). The screws are there for support.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,
          Curious, do they touch the board when a coach is not leaning on the field? Honestly, that makes perfect sense...think about my weight concentrating to hit the key pass...last thing I am thinking about is the sagging field!

Thanks,
          Mark

Comment

Great post

I have to agree on the post. The step by step was great and I'm downloading it to my phone to work on my own scale size board. The "Clicker" I've been doing them for myself for a while now.
            Great Job Jerry.

Darrian

Comment

Thanks Jerry

OUTSTANDING DIRECTIONS FOR DIY STUFF!!!! I like Mark K., can do this project if I follow the instructions correctly.

I will have to down-size mine just a bit because of space requirements.... But Thanks again Jerry.

k-lo

Comment

Excellent show and tell!

Very cool and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Several people have asked me for the company that I found that makes electromagnetic motors. The link to the direct site is: http://catalog.apwcompany.com/item/a...origin=keyword

Hope this helps...
                  Mark

Comment

Outstanding Guide

Jerry your PDF is very informative and easy to follow tutorial. I think anyone who is reasonably competent with a saw and drill can build your design. The fact you utilize readily available materials from any local Home Improvement Store makes it doable for anyone who is willing to build his own Scale Size Game Board. No need for a table saw or elaborate tools and/or advanced woodworking techniques. I was glad to see this information was posted on the MFCA main page, richly deserved. Hopefully, anyone who chooses to build one of these boards, who does not have a full membership currently. Will see the advantages to be a part of this community and be further enticed to join up after wards.

Jerry I have one question to inquire of your building method. Seemly every DIY field/board I viewed on this forum before I built my own, the builder secured the perimeter of the metal field to the frame support with either screws or adhesive. I utilized the latter on my Scale Field construction. I noticed you do neither on your boards (unless I misunderstood) but simply lay the metal field in place on the wood support structure and metal bolt supports. Is there a performance issue doing it this way? Possible excess field movement?

I can see the advantage of utilizing the Electro Magnetic Motors which are installed to the underneath wood frame versus the physical contact with the metal with a Rotary Motor installation. One could easily change his field by pulling the sheet metal out and replacing it with another with a different field cover already installed. A sheet of metal leaning up against a wall takes up little room versus a folded-up game board. My current build is a PVC surface so the Magnetic motor is not an option but if I do another metal field I would have to consider using a similar set-up.

Excellent work and Thanks for taking what must have been a considerable portion of your time to do the PDF for everyone's benefit.
                    Several people have asked me for the company that I found that makes electromagnetic motors. The link to the direct site is: http://catalog.apwcompany.com/item/a...origin=keyword
                    Mark, I take it the link page you provided is the specific motor(s) one would need to order for our needs in this application. I noticed the motor listed does not come with a spring and end cap. Is the spring anything special and/or specific and is the cap magnetic also or simply a plastic type cap? Have dealt with all sorts of electric motors but never an Electro Magnetic type.

Thanks

Comment

Eltoro,
                      The description is poorly written. When I read your question I checked the website really quick and the reason for your confusion was apparent. It does not have a switch with the coil, but it does have the spring, stop, and knob. This is the motor that Jerry uses for his fields, I have two of them on mine and really like the action it provides. If you switch to a metal field, give them a look...they are relatively inexpensive and I believe they are worth the money (and then some).

Mark

Comment

I agree with Mark

....one of the greatest if not the greatest step by step tutorial ever. Priceless information. Thanks Jerry.

Comment

Eltoro,

When I first published how to build your own gameboard back in 1999, that website existed from 1999-2006 called "Madlabber" I originally designed my field with a 1" pan shape bend on the end of the sheet metal. We did not have good field covers back then and I had to handpaint the game board. With addition of a good field cover, necessity became the mother of invention as I now wanted to be able to change out the playing surface and only use one frame. In 2009 I built my first prototype for the field you see here and I played on it for three years. Thus, a flat piece of sheet metal inserted on a rail. If you look up "Jerry McGhee's football room" on Youtube you will see my many sheet metal field covers laying against the wall.

There is no performance issues. The sheet metal is heavy enough that the playing surface will stay put even when the field is on. No magnets, no adhesive, just drop it in and it will stay like a well trained dog! We played the entire Warrior TOC tournament on 10 of these boards and everyone who attended said they loved the boards and the performance.

Jerry

Comment

Wonderful!

This is absolutely wonderful. I've read a lot about board building. This information is what gives me the confidence to take the plunge and build myself a board. No more scrounging for boards I can't afford on ebay and Craig's List. Thank you Mr. McGahee.

My one question is in regard to the total cost of making such a unit. Prices will vary on materials slightly, but can you please give an estimate of the total cost to complete the project including field cover, decals, motors........everything in the tutorial.

Thanks again.

Comment

DrK,

Regarding your question for the cost of materials, as you noted, they will vary depending on your locality but here's a good range estimate:

The Frame & wiring: $80 - $115
                              Sheet Metal: $15 - 30
                              Motors: $15 - $30 (each)
                              Field Cover: $80
                              Frame cover graphic: $35
                              Field Accessories: $5 - $20 if you DIY

I have approximately $250 in materials in each of my Warrior TOC boards that I have built from this design.

It takes me 8 hours to build one game board ready to go.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X