Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RC Base or 3D Printed EF Base (Feedback)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Base or 3D Printed EF Base (Feedback)

Hi Coaches,

I just came across a guy that is local to me that does 3D printing. I found him to make a shell/base for a RC (Radio Controlled) base I am putting together for Electric Football figures and Lego figures. But after seeing what he can do with his 3D printer got me thinking of putting together a new kind of EF base made with a 3D printer.

I would like to do both, but I might not have the funds to do that. So I am here to ask you guys what kind of base would you like to see put together first:

A) RC Base: This base will be the same size as the EF boat base with the round front to make sure the RC base will be able to slide off the other RC base when they hit straight on. But this base will be taller, due to the circuit board, motor, battery and the wheels. The height of this RC base shell will be a tiny bit taller than 2 boat bases stack on top of each other. I was able to custom the circuit board to fit inside the boat base. This making the width and length of the RC base to be the same size as the boat base. Note this RC base can only go forward or backwards with the controller. You have to adjust the front wheel to make it turn left or right, like you would with a EF control base. There was not enough room to setup it up with the controller working the direction. If I had the room to do that, it would have been awesome! Any way, no more tweaking bases or game boards! Only sound you will now hear is cracking of plastic when the players hit each other. Runs right out of the box, due to running on wheels!

B) 3D Printed EF Base: If you feel this is the better way to go first, then I would really like to hear your feedback on what kind of new EF base you would like to see put together with a 3D printer. For now, I will give you what I am thinking of doing to see if you guys like it or not. I like the setup of the ITZ bases and Tudor Games invisibase prongs. With this said, I was thinking of bring these two kinds of bases together. I would setup the prongs of this base to be durable like the invisibase prongs. The base shell would be setup like an ITZ base with a round attachment pieces that you can put in front of this base. Of course there will be a dial to adjust the direction. The main color will be green. But it can be 3D printed in other colors too. Again, please share what you would like to see done.

C) Neither: Just another option to get people to leave any kind of feedback good or bad.

At this time, that person's 3D printer just broke. He has the new part on order to fix it. He should have the new part in about 4 days from now. This is giving me/us some time to decide what direction to go in first. I am hoping that there will be some feedback/support from you guys on this.

Thanks,
    Tony
    Last edited by tonyj; 04-22-2016, 04:48 PM.

material for 3D printing?

All of the 3D printed things I've seen were made with very rigid plastic. Unless there are much softer and more pliable options available for 3D printing, I don't believe the prongs will work well.

-tallguy

Comment

tallguy, thank you for this info. Not want I want to hear, but it is very important to know that the EF prongs can not be 3D printed out very well. Note that I have yet ask the 3D printer guy to make a EF base. If it can not be done like you said, then I will just stick with building an RC base.

Thanks you Tallguy.

Tony

Comment

The Ideal RC Base

Originally posted by tonyj View Post
        Hi Coaches,

I just came across a guy that is local to me that does 3D printing. I found him to make a shell/base for a RC (Radio Controlled) base I am putting together for Electric Football figures and Lego figures. But after seeing what he can do with his 3D printer got me thinking of putting together a new kind of EF base made with a 3D printer.

I would like to do both, but I might not have the funds to do that. So I am here to ask you guys what kind of base would you like to see put together first:

A) RC Base: This base will be the same size as the EF boat base with the round front to make sure the RC base will be able to slide off the other RC base when they hit straight on. But this base will be taller, due to the circuit board, motor, battery and the wheels. The height of this RC base shell will be a tiny bit taller than 2 boat bases stack on top of each other. I was able to custom the circuit board to fit inside the boat base. This making the width and length of the RC base to be the same size as the boat base. Note this RC base can only go forward or backwards with the controller. You have to adjust the front wheel to make it turn left or right, like you would with a EF control base. There was not enough room to setup it up with the controller working the direction. If I had the room to do that, it would have been awesome! Any way, no more tweaking bases or game boards! Only sound you will now hear is cracking of plastic when the players hit each other. Runs right out of the box, due to running on wheels!

B) 3D Printed EF Base: If you feel this is the better way to go first, then I would really like to hear your feedback on what kind of new EF base you would like to see put together with a 3D printer. For now, I will give you what I am thinking of doing to see if you guys like it or not. I like the setup of the ITZ bases and Tudor Games invisibase prongs. With this said, I was thinking of bring these two kinds of bases together. I would setup the prongs of this base to be durable like the invisibase prongs. The base shell would be setup like an ITZ base with a round attachment pieces that you can put in front of this base. Of course there will be a dial to adjust the direction. The main color will be green. But it can be 3D printed in other colors too. Again, please share what you would like to see done.

C) Neither: Just another option to get people to leave any kind of feedback good or bad.

At this time, that person's 3D printer just broke. He has the new part on order to fix it. He should have the new part in about 4 days from now. This is giving me/us some time to decide what direction to go in first. I am hoping that there will be some feedback/support from you guys on this.

Thanks,
        Tony
        The ideal RC base must look like any standard electric football base in over all size. Bases that are as extremely tall, long, or wide will not look good compared to the equipment currently on the game table. Take a look.

Maurice

The Electric Coach
        Attached Files

Comment

Yep, you are right Electric Coach. The RC base will not look right playing with any of the EF bases out there, seen in your picture. Also the RC base is much heavier than any EF base. With this said, the RC base can only be played with other RC bases.

The RC base will be compatible with the EF figures out there by having the same width and length of an EF base. Just taller as you can see in Electric Coach pictures. If you can look past the taller look, then you can play a table top football game that runs right out of the box. Players will run straight and players will get tired, due to their battery going low. Now you will be the coach in the game to know when to replace a tired player (Low Battery) with a fresh player (Charged Battery) in the game.

Thank you Electric Coach for taking your time to take pictures and leaving your feedback.

Tony

Comment

3D EF base! Interested to see if this works.

Comment

Thanks NEW CASTLE HiTMEN!

I told the 3D printer guy (Jason) what tallguy said about a 3D printer is not going to have the right material to print the prongs of a EF base. Jason told me that he has some rubbery/flexible material that might work. So he is going to troubleshoot it to see what happens.

I am going over Jason's house tomorrow to give him the different kinds of EF bases out there to work off of and to give him a EF board to work on to test what he makes.

If know one else leaves any feedback, then I will just PM NEW CASTLE HiTMEN the updates on how the 3D printed EF base is coming along.

Thanks,
              Tony

Comment

Qualified to Test A Base

Thanks NEW CASTLE HiTMEN!

I told the 3D printer guy (Jason) what tallguy said about a 3D printer is not going to have the right material to print the prongs of a EF base. Jason told me that he has some rubbery/flexible material that might work. So he is going to troubleshoot it to see what happens.

I am going over Jason's house tomorrow to give him the different kinds of EF bases out there to work off of and to give him a EF board to work on to test what he makes.

If know one else leaves any feedback, then I will just PM NEW CASTLE HiTMEN the updates on how the 3D printed EF base is coming along.

Thanks,
                Tony
                Tony,

Does Jason know what to look for in a base? How can he test a base if he doesn't play the game? I think you should post your findings here on the message board. I am interested.

Maurice

The Electric Coach

Comment

Electric Coach, I answered your question in that reply. I am going over his house tomorrow to give/show him the EF bases out there to work off of and give him a EF board to run on. I will be there to go over how the bases work and how the game is played.

He just called me today to tell me that he got his 3D printer some what working to be able to print out his first attempt on making a base. That is why he wants me there tomorrow with a field to run it on.

I have to say that this guy is going out his way for me. Means a lot! I hope he is able to make something that will run right off the printer.

If there are other people out there reading this and wants to know or help with out replying, then just click that "like button" below the first post of this topic. If you are up for replying, then please throw in your feedback.

One thing I was thinking to make this base run right off the printer is to add weight to it by filling in the whole base with the material, rather then having it all open under the base. But then the base would not be compatible with the other EF bases out there due to it being heavier than all the EF bases out there.

This leads me to this question to you guys. Would it be wrong to make a base that is not compatible (Only in weight) to the current EF bases, but will run straight out of the bag? I am not sure if adding weight will make it run right out of the bag, but if it did would it be worth making it that way?

I am just throwing ideas out there to try to make a EF base that people do not have to tweak to make it run well. It should run well right when you buy it for people will keep playing it.

Comment

Create

Electric Coach, I answered your question in that reply. I am going over his house tomorrow to give/show him the EF bases out there to work off of and give him a EF board to run on. I will be there to go over how the bases work and how the game is played.

He just called me today to tell me that he got his 3D printer some what working to be able to print out his first attempt on making a base. That is why he wants me there tomorrow with a field to run it on.

I have to say that this guy is going out his way for me. Means a lot! I hope he is able to make something that will run right off the printer.

If there are other people out there reading this and wants to know or help with out replying, then just click that "like button" below the first post of this topic. If you are up for replying, then please throw in your feedback.

One thing I was thinking to make this base run right off the printer is to add weight to it by filling in the whole base with the material, rather then having it all open under the base. But then the base would not be compatible with the other EF bases out there due to it being heavier than all the EF bases out there.

This leads me to this question to you guys. Would it be wrong to make a base that is not compatible (Only in weight) to the current EF bases, but will run straight out of the bag? I am not sure if adding weight will make it run right out of the bag, but if it did would it be worth making it that way?

I am just throwing ideas out there to try to make a EF base that people do not have to tweak to make it run well. It should run well right when you buy it for people will keep playing it.
                    Tony,

Go ahead and create the base. The first run might not be what it needs to be, but you will need it to help you find the best way to make a good base. Whatever you present, the hobby at large will be the defining judge. Tweaking is going to happen whether the base runs out of the bag or not. Tweaking changes base performance.

Maurice

The Electric Coach

Comment

Adding weight to the base is acceptable as long as it doesn't change the maximum overall size under the guidelines of the TOC equipment rules, but personally, I would stick to something similar to the current weights of bases as adding putty is such an easy thing to do. In many cases adding putty is more desirable as the the position of the putty can help an unbalanced figure to run a given direction or correct that unbalance.

Just my

Comment

Good point Lynn. This is what this topic is all about, us sharing our input together.

We all know that weight helps make these players run better. I just thought I would throw out there having the weight already made on the base to make it run better.

I will have him start off on staying around the same weight as the current EF bases out there to see what happens.

Thanks,
                        Tony

Comment

I just got back from Jason house. Tallguy is right about a 3D printer is going to have a hard time making a EF base. First you got to have the right material. I feel he has some material that could work. The big problem is him putting in a lot of time/work in to the programing to tell the 3D printer how to print it out. That lot of work in the programing part will take time and money. I do not have the money to pay this guy to make this happen. He feels he could make it happen, if he troubleshoots it enough. With this said, I am sorry to say that I can not move in this direction.

I can afford the price he told me to make a shell for my RC base idea. I am going to have to move in this direction with the amount of money I have to work with.

Thank you to the ones that took the time to leave their input/feedback about this.

Thanks,
                          Tony

Comment

Jason (3D Printer Guy) is up for having anyone else working with him to put a 3D printed EF base together. He was telling me that he might have to set this base up like a ITZ gear base to be able to make a 3D printed base. Meaning that he thinks he will have to make the thin prongs by itself and then connect them to the base. I wanted the prongs printed on the base and on a dial.

He gets paid by the hour. So I was thinking it was going to be to complicated to put together. With that said, it might take him hours that would then add up in the cost to make it. He wants to try to make this work. But I do not have the funds to get him going on it.

If you would like to work with him on this, then send me a PM. Then I will give you his contact information.

Thanks,
                            Tony

Comment

I've been working on a 3d printed base for a few months now. I've tried various different materials, including some flexible filament. Right now I just don't see it happening. I've gotten close, and have actually had my most successful version come out this week, but the combo of correct material and prong thickness has been hard to match. The picture below is as close as i've come....

Click image for larger version

Name:	13106072_1088924417835287_1756165227_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	387503

Comment

Working...
                              X